is a grade 1 listed building,
dating from the 13th century, and restored in
1871-2. It has been
described as an ‘Early English
Church of exceptional purity and indeed classicity’.
It is set
on a hill overlooking the village
with extensive views to the west.
an imposing building which is impossible to miss.
contains many items of interest,
including an Anglo-Saxon font, a Royal coat of arms dating from the 18th
century, and wooden panels depicting Moses and Aaron, also from the 18th
point of great interest
is the columns on the east window, as they are of Purbeck marble, and
strongly reminiscent of Salisbury Cathedral.
There is a 13th century
door leading into the North porch,
and a pulpit dating from the 15th century.
is a ‘two star’ church in ‘England’s Thousand Best Churches’ by Simon
Jenkins. This means
that the church is
well visited and appreciated by many who come from all over the world.
information is available on the history of St.Mary's by clicking on the
following website links:-
Council - Community History